Wednesday 21 May 2014

OUGD505: End of Module Self Evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Throughout this module, I have experienced a range of new skills. I have gained a better understanding of working systematically with grids and layouts. Although I have felt slightly behind others at times, I am aware that this is due to my topic choice. I decided to research into braille for Studio Brief 1 and Studio Brief 2. I wanted to explore a new field of language which many people took for granted. I quickly realised how much I needed to learn in order to produce a product which was correct and beneficial. During this module, I have been patient and persistent in attempting to learn and reproduce my own braille. I have also enjoyed learning new skills during the smaller tasks such as Jackson Rising and Graham's typography sessions. I intent to keep applying these to my future projects.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

In this module, I have tried to move away from the digital aspect of graphic design. Studio Brief 1 and 2 gave me the freedom to choose any topic of my choice. By choosing to work with braille, I was able to take a more hands-on approach. Although I have become more appreciative of digital designing and all of the possibilities, it was refreshing to create something hand. Again, with Studio Brief 3, I thought of ways I could produce the poster which avoided relying purely on digital resources. I enjoyed looking for found objects (a feather) to photograph, scan and manipulate as this is an approach I had not tried in ages. I have definitely become more patient but also experimental with my work. I want to continue exploring new fields of design and steer away from pre-dominantly digital-based outcomes. There is something really satisfying about designing and making something entirely on your own without the dependency of technology.


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I have definitely become more careful with my work. The outcomes I have produced this year have been produced in their most appropriate formats. I also feel asthough my work is starting to look more professional through the application of my acquired skills throughout the past two years. My confidence has grown with the improvement of my own work. I have pushed myself to work in new design areas and the results have been really positive. In future, I want to keep finding new work methods so I am never staying in my comfort zone.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

As I often tend to doubt my ideas, I sometimes find myself alternating between a selection as opposed to committing to one. This comes from the doubt of my ideas not being good enough and feeling as though I could do something better – more creative or more relevant for example. In the future, I need to stop holding back on one idea just incase something better will come. Instead I need to stick with one idea and produce it to the best possible outcome. This will have a positive impact on my time management. It will also push me to think of why I feel the idea wasn't good enough in the first place. I also need to ensure I am sharing my ideas with as many people as I can in order to get a diverse and large range of feedback.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. Source more primary research. This is definitely something I need to work on as it is the best way to inform a project and justify certain design choices. This is something I wish I had done more of throughout the module.

2. Commit to one idea and produce it to the best possible outcome that I can as opposed to working on multiple ideas and choosing one at the last minute due to panic. This would save me a lot of time and give me a clearer set of aims and intentions.

3. Stop comparing my work to others. I can't help but always put my ideas against other people's and question if I have made the wrong decisions. During this module in particular, I found that I produced a much smaller quantity of final outcomes. However, working with braille was extremely time-consuming as it was almost like learning another language – and then making it look good too. This meant that the idea was more important, not the quantity of work. I often find it hard to reassure myself of things like that.

4. Visit more places externally to LCA. I want to make the most of Leeds in my final year because I know it has a lot to offer. I have been safe with my projects this year due to the large quantity of work at a time. However, once I am writing my own briefs, I want to ensure I am engaging and networking with new people as much as possible. Not just in Leeds, but all over the world.

5. Be more competitive.











No comments:

Post a Comment